Inspirational Writing Quotes from Famous Authors
Posted by solitaireparke
Here are a few favorite quotes about writing to help inspire writers everywhere. Whether you’re a fiction writer, nonfiction writer, or poet, these inspirational quotes on writing will put the pen back in your hand with renewed passion. So stop for a moment, step away from the keyboard, and soak in these eclectic author quotes on writing.
- And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet’s pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name. – William Shakespeare (from A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly. I have been successful probably because I have always realized that . – Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Prose is architecture, not interior decoration. – Ernest Hemingway
- Why one writes is a question I can answer easily, having so often asked it of myself. I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. I could not live in any of the worlds offered to me — the world of my parents, the world of war, the world of politics. I had to create a world of my own, like a climate, a country, an atmosphere in which I could breathe, reign, and recreate myself when destroyed by living. That, I believe, is the reason for every work of art – Ansais Nin
- A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it is to be God. – Sidney Sheldon
- Any man who keeps working is not a failure. He may not be a great writer, but if he applies the old-fashioned virtues of hard, constant labor, he’ll eventually make some kind of career for himself as writer. – Ray Bradbury
- Evil is always possible. Goodness is a difficulty – Anne Rice
- If you have other things in your life—family, friends, good productive day work—these can interact with your writing and the sum will be all the richer. – David Brin
- I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose. – Stephen King
- Words are a lens to focus one’s mind. – Ayn Rand
- Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short. – Henry David Thoreau
- A writer without interest or sympathy for the foibles of his fellow man is not conceivable as a writer. – Joseph Conrad
- Half my life is an act of revision. – John Irving
- Poetry creates the myth, the prose writer draws its portrait. – Jean-Paul Sartre
- It is the writer who might catch the imagination of young people, and plant a seed that will flower and come to fruition. – Isaac Asimov
- The unread story is not a story; it is little black marks on wood pulp. The reader, reading it, makes it live: a live thing, a story. – Ursula K. Le Guin
- Only in men’s imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. – Joseph Conrad
- There’s no such thing as writer’s block. That was invented by people in California who couldn’t write. – Terry Pratchett
- Tell the readers a story! Because without a story, you are merely using words to prove you can string them together in logical sentences. – Anne McCaffrey
- If you write one story, it may be bad; if you write a hundred, you have the odds in your favor.
– Edgar Rice Burroughs
Heard any inspirational or funny quotes by your favorite authors? Please leave me a comment!
About solitaireparkeSolitaire Parke is an author of Science Fiction/Urban Fantasy, Poetry and Larger World books. He is a lover of dragons, the poetry of Edgar Allan Poe, and has a large collection of science fiction books and movies. After becoming an award winning photographer and earning a degree in music theory, he worked in graphic and web design, but he always returns to writing. When he is not writing, you can find him reading, watching a sci-fi television show or movie, or researching a new “techno gadget” on the internet. He now resides in Arizona with his family and two very spoiled dogs.
Posted on June 11, 2015, in Author Quotes and tagged Dragomeir Series, fantasy, fiction, Flight of the Aguiva, Inspirational author quotes, nonfiction, poetry, solitaire parke, The Emerald Dragon, writing. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Leave a comment